How to recognize a stroke?
HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
POOR DIET, NO EXERCISE
- Patients history
- CT or MRI
- CT angiogram, MR Angiogram or conventional angiogram (examination of the brain bloodvessels)
Depends on where the stroke begins in the brain
- Medication that resolves the bloodclot (trombolysis) -> within 4,5 hours of onset of symptoms
- Removal of the clot (trombectomy, not yet possible on Curacao)
In case of a brain aneurysm:
- Eliminating the aneurysm with titanium spirals (coiling) (not yet available on Curacao)
- Eliminating aneurysm surgically In case of a bleeding without an aneurysm: Surgery is not always needed or not always possible. Surgery will not improve neurological disability.
- Rehabilitation will be necessary for improvement of the complaints. Preventive: Treatment if risk factors, in case of brain infarction also bloodthinning medication is given.